Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Barley Soup for Clean Wednesday

Simple Barley Soup (Slow Cooker) (Oil free)
from Food for Paradise

6 cups water
4 carrots, sliced
1/2 cup barley
4 onions, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns

Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker.  Cook on low for 6 hours.  

Such a simple recipe!  Here it is in my slow cooker this morning.  I'm hoping it will be ready for when we get back from Presanctified Liturgy this morning.  I put it on high for 4 hours and also made a double batch so it will last for a few days.

For Lent, I'm trying to "deep clean" my house.  Each week I have a certain part of the house I'm focusing on.  This week it's the basement.  Yesterday Andrey and I dusted the window ledges, bookshelves, and other furniture.  My annual "deep cleaning" is not too impressive though... it's probably just regular cleaning to most people.

I'm reading "An Extraordinary Peace: St. Seraphim Flame of Sarov" as my Lenten reading.  It's very good!  I can only read a few pages though and feel like there is so much to think about.

I found out last night that an acquaintance lost her first baby at full term.  I'm so sad for her and her family!  I can't imagine how heartbreaking that would be!  I've held Liza close to me and told her I love her many times since finding that out.  She brings such joy to our lives!  This is her this morning... clapping as she woke up!

3 comments:

Martha said...

That sounds like a great recipe...the fresh parsley atop looks so pretty! I haven't had barley for a while. It's one of those "superfoods" that isn't eaten as much as it should be... I've started reading "Lost in the Taiga" for spiritual reading. Would that book about St. Seraphim be good for Hannah, too?

Mary said...

The photo is from when the soup was just put in the slow cooker, so the parsley was all cooked. I think it would have been great to save some fresh ones to sprinkle on top! Hannah might like the book on St. Seraphim although it might be a little over her head sometimes.

elizabeth said...

how sad about the couple who lost their baby; that is devastating! Memory Eternal!
*
The soup looks great ~ Lenten reading is such a blessing too!